Jonathan Hasbrouck Family Papers (1751-1904)
Finding Aid Completed by Eric Roth, October 16, 1999
Volume: 0.25 cu. ft.
Acquisition: The papers were donated to the Huguenot Historical Society by Paul Hasbrouck on February 15, 1999.
Copyright: Request for permission to publish materials from these records should be discussed with the Archivist and Director of the Huguenot Historical Society.
Jonathan Hasbrouck C-17  was born on April 22, 1722, the tenth child of Joseph Hasbrouck and Elsie Schoonmaker. In May 1751 he married Tryntje DuBois (bp. 1730), daughter of Cornelius DuBois and Anna Margaret Houghtaling. Jonathan and Tryntje had seven children: Joseph, Cornelius, Rachel, Isaac, Mary, Jonathan, and Abraham. Col. Hasbrouck died on July 31, 1780.
Jonathan Hasbrouck is most known for his construction of the stone house at Newburgh, NY known as Washington's Headquarters State Historic Site, which has been owned and operated by the State of New York since 1850. General George Washington used this building as his headquarters during the Revolutionary War from April 1782 to August 1783. Jonathan served in the Ulster County Militia, being commissioned ensign in 1747, captain in 1753 and Lieutenant Colonel in 1774. As Colonel, he also held command of the 4th Regiment from 1775-1779. Col. Hasbrouck was appointed to the "Committee of Safety and Observation" in 1775.  In addition to serving in the military, Jonathan made his living as a farmer, miller and merchant. Jonathan Hasbrouck was twice elected Supervisor of the town of Newburgh in 1763 and 1772. 
Papers include deeds, bonds, receipts and other legal documents concerning properties owned by Jonathan Hasbrouck, his wife Tryntje Hasbrouck and his son Jonathan Hasbrouck in around the city of Newburgh, NY during the 18th and early 19th centuries. The majority of these transactions also concern other Hasbrouck family members such as Benjamin, Cornelius and Isaac Hasbrouck. Several of the bonds involve land bounty rights due to soldiers serving in various local militias during the Revolutionary War.
Other papers include a "bill of sale of a Negro named Robb; (1765); court papers concerning the partition of lands in the town of Marlborough previously owned by George Harrison (1798); agreement between Jonathan Hasbrouck and Eli Hasbrouck concerning the estate of Isaac Hasbrouck (1816); petitions and letters pertaining to Washington's Headquarters in Newburgh (1839-1853); undated incorporation papers of "The Farmer's Association of the County of Orange" and the "Farmer's Steamboat Association of the County of Orange (undated);" letter recommending Calvin Frost as potential attorney for New York Central Hudson River Railroad Company; and a pamphlet entitled "Lessons of the Welsh Revival" (1904). Other records relating to the estate of Jonathan Hasbrouck and the city of Newburgh are located in the Nathaniel and Isaac Dubois Family Papers (1778-1927).
Overall, the papers are in fair condition, showing signs of damage from tearing, fading and folding. The handwriting is legible throughout the collection. Papers are organized chronologically.
(1751-1798 and undated)
(1806-1904 and undated)
 Identification numbers are taken from Kenneth E. Hasbrouck's The Hasbrouck Family in America with European Background, Third Edition, published by the Hasbrouck Family Association, Huguenot Historical Society, New Paltz, NY (1986). Unless otherwise noted, all genealogical information is taken from this source.
 Ruttenber, E.M. and Clark, L.H. History of Orange County, New York: with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men, vol. 1. Everts & Peck, Philadelphia (1881): p. 64. Reprinted by Heart of the Lakes Publishing, Interlaken, NY (1980).
 Headley, Russel. History of Orange County, New York. Van Deusen and Elms, Middletown, NY. (1908): p. 378.