Hasbrouck Family Association
Is the name Hasbrouck, Hasbrook, Hasbrooke, HasBrook, HasBrouck, or Hasbroek in your lineage?
It is generally accepted that virtually all Hasbroucks in America are descended from the brothers Jean and Abraham, French Huguenots, who both arrived in America in the early 1670s. The stone houses their families built in 1721 still stand on Huguenot Street in New Paltz, NY.
Kenneth E. Hasbrouck, Sr. devoted more than 45 years to documenting the brothers' lines of descent. The results of his efforts have been published as The Hasbrouck Family In America, Volumes I-VI, including European background in Volumes I & II. In the preface of Volumes I & II, Kenneth wrote: "Our ancestors, the brothers Jean and Abraham, who married the sisters Anna and Maria Deyo, were indeed individualists! Jean was the eldest, a devout man, quiet, steadfast, firm in his convictions, home-loving and a very good business man. He was content to dwell in simplicity and did not seek public office. His brother Abraham was more socially inclined... He was an army man with many acquaintances. He accepted positions that took him among the Dutch and away from home. Both brothers had a high regard for learning and family unity. It is interesting to note that some of the characteristics of the brothers have come down to this very day."
The Hasbrouck Family Association (HFA) was founded in 1957. Its primary goals were the purchase of the Abraham Hasbrouck House and the documentation of family history (the Jean Hasbrouck House already belonged to the Huguenot Historical Society, with which HFA is affiliated). The Association now has a membership of about 300. It holds an annual gathering in New Paltz and publishes a newsletter that addresses items of common interest regarding the houses and our heritage, as well as topics submitted or requested by members. It also solicits, maintains, and makes available family genealogy information as well as historical information.
To become a member of the Hasbrouck Family Association, click here.
Abraham (Daniel) Hasbrouck House
The Abraham Hasbrouck House is across the street from the New Paltz Reformed Church. Until recent years, it was believed that this house was built in three sections by Abraham the patentee between 1692 and 1712. However, in 2002, dendrochronology (tree-ring dating) revealed that the center room was built about 1721, the north room about 1728, and the south room about 1734. Since Abraham died in 1717, that means he never saw the house, which was in fact built by his son Daniel. However, Abraham's widow, Maria Deyo, lived there until her death in 1741. We don't know for sure where Abraham lived; but it is logical to assume that it was in a simpler house (probably wood frame) on the same site. He would obviously have lived on his own property and most likely at or close to Huguenot Street where the present house stands. Since this house has been called the Abraham Hasbrouck House for more than a century, the name has been maintained with Daniel's name added in brackets behind his father's for formal identification.
The Abraham Hasbrouck House is an excellent example for a student of architecture to see how a house of that era was enlarged. One can see the divisions on the exterior walls. There is a variance in the levels of rooms on the ground floor, which is a feature of many old stone houses. It was easier to build split-level than to grade. Maria probably lived in the higher north room, which is presently presented as the "opkamer" (Dutch for up-room). Such rooms were often used as a private living space/bedchamber, and the room features a period canopy bed and a 17th-century Dutch kast, which was probably made in Holland and brought over by one of the original families. A kast was used as a wardrobe cabinet as well as for storage of linens and blankets. The great chestnut beams used in this room as well as in the kitchen were turned sideward in order to obtain more headroom. This is the only example of this feature on Huguenot Street.
The cellar was originally the kitchen and slave quarters, and there was no direct access to the upper rooms. The present kitchen was built along with the north room, which is directly above it. The current steps to the center room were added much later, and the only access was through the present door in the east wall. Although the kitchen is now almost entirely below ground, the ground level in the 18th century was about three feet lower than today, so it was originally that much higher. The north chimney, connected to the kitchen fireplace, is original. This great fireplace served not only for warmth but was also used for all the cooking done by the family and slaves.
One of the architectural glories of the house is the restored jambless fireplace in the center "room of seven doors." It has no sides or mantel. The great beehive chimney rests directly on the huge beams (a similar fireplace in the south room is also a restoration). The hearth tiles were reproduced, using an original one as an example for period and composition. Also of interest in the center room is a reproduction of a Dutch box bed. This type of bed was either of a permanent nature or could be movable. The bed was generally placed in an area where the warmth of the fireplace would be available and the area underneath it formed a storage area. At night the doors would be closed.
When Daniel married Wyntje Deyo in 1734, he added the south room, anticipating a growing family (they subsequently had nine children). This room shows a transitional period. The family found that the ceiling should be higher, and there was no longer any need to use such large beams. The flooring, woodwork, and beams are original. The only change made was enlargement of the windows. This room has several exits. One leads to a small stairway; another used to lead to a stairway to the cellar. The room is presently displayed with a group of period furnishings.
The house was owned by Abraham's descendants until 1911. In 1957 the property was purchased from the Evers family by the Reformed Church. In 1961 the house and some adjoining land was purchased from the Church by the Hasbrouck Family Association and placed under the ownership of the Huguenot Historical Society.
Jean (Jacob) Hasbrouck House
The Jean Hasbrouck House stands at the junction of Huguenot Street and North Front Street. It was the first of the stone houses on Huguenot Street to be acquired (in 1899) by the 5-year-old Huguenot Patriotic, Historical and Monumental Society of New Paltz (now Historic Huguenot Street) which called it the "Memorial House" and used it as a museum of the history of the Huguenot settlement of New Paltz. Information passed down for generations gave the construction period as 1694-1712, but in 2002 dendrochronology (tree-ring dating) revealed that the beams for the house were cut in 1721. Since Jean died in 1714, this surprising revelation indicated that he had never lived in the house, which must have been built by his son Jacob. However, Jean apparently did have some connection with the house. An oak fireplace lintel was dated to 1677 (the year of the New Paltz patent), and other evidence indicated that portions of the south and west walls were part of Jean's earlier dwelling on the site. Since the house has been called the Jean Hasbrouck House for well over a century, the name has been retained but Jacob's name added in brackets behind his father's for formal identification.
The house is an outstanding example of Dutch stone house architecture. The long center beam, the enormous loft where grain was kept, and the huge beehive chimney of imported brick are architecturally unique. It is the most prominent stone house on Huguenot Street and reflects the economic and class standing of its builder, who operated a prosperous farm and had other land holdings as well.
Since New Paltz was about 15 miles from the retail markets of Kingston, there was a need for a local store, and one was established in the house some time in the mid-1700s. It operated there until 1811, when it was moved to the emerging commercial district on Main Street.
The house remained under the ownership of Jean's descendants until 1886, but from 1822 it was rented to a succession of tenants. In 1886, it was sold to Jesse Elting, who rented it to a tenant family until selling it to what is now Historic Huguenot Street in 1899.
In recent years, the east wall bulged outward dangerously and had to be torn down and rebuilt, stone by stone. This meticulously accurate project was completed in 2007 at a cost of $500,000 - the most demanding and expensive restoration in the history of Huguenot Street. Now reflecting an impressive interior restoration as well, the house is open again for tours and provides a fascinating window on life in the 1760s.
The Federal mansion known as Locust Lawn is located four miles south of New Paltz on Route 32 in the town of Gardiner. The house was built in 1814 by Col. Josiah Hasbrouck and was owned by descendants of the family until it was given to the Huguenot Historical Society by Miss Annette Young in 1958. In October 2010 the property was transferred to Locust Grove in Poughkeepsie, with which it shares a history of common Hasbrouck-related ownership over many years.
Col. Josiah Hasbrouck, a great grandson of Jean the patentee, was one of the wealthiest men in the county. His property holdings, not only inherited but also acquired, were very extensive. He held numerous mortgages, and soon after the 1800s he and his son began to acquire large areas of land in the western section of New York State. The family had acquired a cultural appetite which demanded excellent furniture, good books, paintings, and European imports. His son's family were all educated by private tutors brought to the house for that purpose.
Col. Josiah Hasbrouck was a Lieutenant in the Revolutionary War and received his commission as a Colonel for service in the Ulster County Militia. He served in the House of Representatives during the terms of Presidents Adams and Jefferson. During his stay in Washington, he saw many fine homes, both there and in Virginia. Therefore he decided to build this large Federal-style house. The proportions of the building, its pilasters, arches, and wide moldings are characteristic of fine Federal architecture. Six pilasters which rise for two stories are on the front of the house, at each end of the center section and on either side of the doorway. There is a deep molding above the pilasters, a wide tablature above the molding, then another molding. The roof slopes from the outer edge of each wing toward a third floor center section, which had three windows on the front. There is a pilaster at each end of the center section and one between each window. The doorway has a sidelight on either side, each with a paneled blind. There is an arch above the doorway, and a sunburst oval directly above it. You would expect to see a fanlight in the arch over the doorway and lights in the sunburst at the top of the house, but both are filled with wood. Although the front of the house is smooth, the sides are finished with overlapping clapboard. The tall white chimneys rise from each side, and there is a one-story kitchen wing in back. The front door is a divided Dutch door. This may possibly be due to the influence of the first mistress of the house, Sarah Decker, a lady of Dutch descent.
In 1981, the interior of the house was completely researched and paint samples taken. The rooms were painted the same colors as were used in 1814.
The house was surrounded by a 1,000 acre farm, part of which still remains. It was productive since the days of the Evert Terwilliger family, who settled there and built the stone house (1728) still standing a short distance from the mansion. The many slaves who served in the family in years gone by and some of the Terwilligers are buried on a high hill across the Plattekill, east of the house.
The property includes the old slaughter-house, wood-house, carriage house, and smoke-house. The slaughter-house is very interesting because of the fact that it still retains all the equipment that was used in such a building in 1814. There are areas for turkeys, chickens, ducks, and hogs to be placed before slaughtering. The ovens to heat the water and the great iron cauldron are visible, as well as a pulley for hoisting livestock.
On the exterior of the building one will note the millstone once used in the Terwilliger mill, which was located near the bridge over the Plattekill.
The house was constructed of timber hewn around this area. Oak, ash, pine, and chestnut have been used in the house. The house was built by Hendrick Schoonmaker, and the architect was Cromwell of Newburgh. The house was built so well and so sturdily that it endures practically the same as it was in 1814.
The first floor includes three rooms in the main part of the house and two rooms in the wing. The kitchen had a huge fireplace, somewhat like the one in the DuBois Fort on Huguenot Street with its baking ovens.
One of the outstanding features of this house is the marbleized plaster walls in the hall. This treatment of plaster was a specialty of Cromwell, the architect. Col. Josiah Hasbrouck placed the date of the house on the wall to the right as you enter.
The room on the left of the hall was the parlor. The room to the right of the hall, now shown as a dining room, was originally a second parlor. There is also a schoolroom where the children were taught by private tutors. The rug was laid in 1850. A fine staircase ascends for three stories. On the second floor there are four bedrooms. A stairway goes to the third floor from this hall. At the south end, what is now known as the children's room was partitioned off from the hall in later years. The third story of the house was given over to a great attic and servants' quarters.
Board of Directors
Robert W. Hasbrouck, Jr.
First Vice President
Robert C. Hasbrouck, Jr.
John O. Delamater
Robert H. Freehill
Derek W. HasBrouck
Rebecca J. Hasbrouck
Thad C. Hasbrouck
Appointed by the President
Meryl S. Brown