Deyo Family Association
The Deyo Family Association was founded in 1964 and organized under the sponsorship of the Huguenot Historical Society, doing business as Historic Huguenot Street. The initial project of the Deyo Family Association was to raise funds to furnish the Pierre Deyo House on Huguenot Street in New Paltz, NY. The stone walls of the original house are still part of the existing structure.
Presently, the Association has two purposes: the continuing and proper maintenance of the Deyo House and supporting Historic Huguenot Street, which owns, manages, and safeguards all the patentee property along Huguenot Street.
To become a member of the Deyo Family Association, click here.
The history of the Deyo Family in America begins, fittingly enough, with a grandpere named Christian, an apt title, because the
impetus for reaching these shores was religious persecution in Europe. It is a Christian account which begins in the New World
with a man named Christian.
The story of this remarkable and durable clan goes back to the tenth century when a chieftain held a fortress in the Jura Mountains, and continues to the 1600's when descendants were forced to flee across Europe to avoid martyrdom for Calvinist beliefs. The succeeding flight to America brought new adventures, a unique form of government, treaties with the Indians, and at last refuge in a tiny settlement on the banks of the Wallkill River in the shadow of the Shawangunks.
Excerpt from "The Deyo Family in America" by Kenneth E. Hasbrouck (1958)
The Deyo House
Located opposite the Memorial House [Jean Hasbrouck House], this house is so altered that one has difficulty in visualizing the original structure. The Deyo House which was the first stone dwelling built in New Paltz forms a part of the structure.
This residence is a striking illustration of what can happen to a house of historic significance before proper preservation authority prevailed.
Built by Pierre Deyo, the Patentee, in 1692, the structure was very simple in design. A descendant, Abraham Deyo Brodhead, in the late 19th Century, made most of the changes that one sees today.
Members of the Deyo Family Association have made it possible to acquire the house and grounds.
Excerpt from "The Street of the Huguenots" by Kenneth E. Hasbrouck (1970)
Board of Directors
JoAnn Deyo Dourdis
First Vice President, Newsletter
Second Vice President, Membership
Jeffrey Edwin Deyo (Jeff)