Job Title: Museum Shop Assistant
Reporting Relationship: Reports to the Retail and Tourism Manager
General Responsibilities: The Museum Shop Assistant is responsible for maintaining daily sales and activities of the museum shop, when scheduled. This is a part-time position.
- Assist Retail and Tourism Manager in daily activity of the shop.
- Operate the cash register (Point of Sale - POS) and process museum shop transactions in accordance with HHS policies & procedures.
- Provide excellent service to visitors, members, and donors.
- Answer customer questions whether in person or over the phone, recommend merchandise to purchase, and take phone orders.
- Responsible for opening and closing procedures when scheduled.
- Help maintain museum shop displays so that merchandise is presentable and has maximum appeal to customers. Keep Shop neat, tidy, and clean.
- Work with other staff and volunteers to ensure a consistently high standard of orderliness and tidiness in all areas open to the public. Report problems immediately.
- Other duties as assigned by the Retail and Tourism Manager.
- Promote museum shop as a singular shopping experience while upselling our program offerings.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the site and its history as well as the village of New Paltz.
- Demonstrates exemplary customer service skills and computer/POS efficiency.
- Prior retail/tourism experience required.
- Flexibility in scheduling needed along with a positive and professional attitude.
- Follows security measures pertaining to cash, merchandise, collections, and customer information, our collections and houses.
- Availability to work on a Friday-Monday basis, 9:30 AM – 5:30 PM.
- Must be prompt and reliable in showing up for scheduled shifts and responding to work communications by phone and/or email.
- Follows security measures pertaining to cash, merchandise, collection pieces, and customer information.
- Adheres to dress code set by HHS.
- Must be able to walk the length of the site, climb stairs, lift at least 25 lbs. and lock/unlock historic structures.
Work Schedule: Part-time position. Hours as needed. Maximum 25 hours per week. Seasonal work on an “as needed” basis beginning in April and ending in December.
To apply: Please contact email@example.com.