Job Title: Guest Experience Assistant
Description: The primary role of the Guest Experience Assistant (GEA) is to greet and handle all guest questions and needs. This includes leading groups of guests through tours of the historic buildings of Historic Huguenot Street (HHS). To begin this training process, the GEA will receive a physical tour script to study. Walkthroughs of the tour with the Arts and Interpretation Manager will follow, along with the opportunity to shadow experienced GEAs. To test their abilities, the GEA will run through the tour and, when approved by a senior member of the Public Programming department, may begin leading tours for the public. In the instance that there are no guests scheduled for the GEAs’ allotted tour time, they may be asked to assist with basic tasks related to the assisting in the Museum Shop and working with the Public Programming department as needed.
- Know all information in script and use only the methods taught during training
- Be familiar with museum shop inventory and the Point of Sale system
- Maintain a welcoming and professional attitude at all times and provide excellent customer service
- Adhere to HHS policies at all times, especially in regards to security and collection items on view in the houses
- Lead public tours, private group tours, school groups, specialty tours, or perform in special historical vignettes as needed
- Highly-developed communication skills, including speaking to small and large groups
- Ability to memorize information from a script and to improvise in multiple scenarios
- Preferred experience and/or training in: public speaking, working with the public, acting, and/or retail and tourism experience
- A strong knowledge and passion for history a plus
- Must be able to walk the length of the site, climb stairs, and lock/unlock the historic houses and other structures on site
- Flexible schedule, including availability on weekends and some evenings
- Must be prompt and reliable in showing up for scheduled shifts and responding to work communications by phone and/or email
- Follows security measures pertaining to cash, merchandise, collection pieces, and customer information
- Adheres to dress code set by HHS
This is a part-time position.
Maximum 28 hours per week; seasonal work on an “as needed” basis beginning in April and ending in December.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Kristine Gillespie, Retail & Tourism Manager, at email@example.com.