The DuBois Fort
The Huguenot Street home built by the Isaac DuBois branch of the DuBois family was originally built in a form similar to the Bevier-Elting House across the street. Possessing original loopholes in which guns could be placed for protection against hostile forces, it has long been known as the "Fort." It was greatly enlarged around 1830 with the addition of a full second story, a kitchen wing (with its beehive oven), an attached carriage barn and a striking double porch. Little of the 1830s fabric of the building has been altered over the years, making it a rare survival of that period. It was purchased in 1968 with funds donated by the DuBois Family Association, and it currently serves as Historic Huguenot Street's visitor center, including the museum shop, exhibit space and a gallery.