NEWS RELEASE: Historic Huguenot Street Holiday Exhibit Features Classic Toys From the Permanent Collection


NEW PALTZ, NY (November 26, 2014) – The Historic Huguenot Street Curatorial Department has developed a new exhibit in honor of the winter holiday season. On display now in the DuBois Fort Visitor Center, “Gifts of the Past” features a selection of historic children’s toys from the Historic Huguenot Street Permanent Collection.

 Holiday gift giving has been a tradition for several centuries. Around the world, Christmas traditions are influenced by the legend of a gift giver rewarding children for their good behavior with toys and treats. “This exhibit brings together examples of classic children’s toys, both mass produced and hand-made, from the 19th and early-20th centuries,” explained Collections Manager Josephine Bloodgood. “We are very lucky to have such an extensive collection of these timeless objects preserved to share with the public.”  Items on display include the first model Teddy Bear, a set of alphabet blocks, handmade wooden dominoes, and a bisque handmade doll.


 This exhibit is a part of Historic Huguenot Street’s larger holiday programming season, featuring special events, interpretations, and décor. Additional objects from the Permanent Collection, including toys and holiday greeting cards, will be on display throughout the Deyo House, which guests can tour by purchasing a regular All-Day Pass.

 “Gifts of the Past” is free and open to the public, now through Sunday, December 21, 2014. The DuBois Fort Visitor Center is open weekends, 10 am – 5 pm.

A National Historic Landmark District, Historic Huguenot Street is a 501(c)3 non-profit that encompasses 30 buildings across 10 acres that was the heart of the original 1678 settlement, including seven stone houses that date to the early eighteenth century.  It was founded in 1894 as the Huguenot Patriotic, Historical, and Monumental Society to preserve their French and Dutch heritage.  Since then, Historic Huguenot Street has grown into an innovative museum, chartered as an educational corporation by the University of the State of New York, that is dedicated to protecting our historic buildings, conserving an important collection of artifacts and manuscripts, and promoting the stories of the Huguenot Street families, from the sixteenth century to today. 


Kaitlin Gallucci
Communications & Marketing Manager
(845) 255-1660